Apple Federal Credit Union 2022 Review: Is It Right For You?
GOBanking Rates Score
- Some products
- Customer service
How did we calculate this?
- Product offerings for almost every banking and financial need
- Most banking transactions can be done without going to a physical branch
- Limited Membership
- High and minimum account requirements for the best APYs
- Few benefits for members
Apple Credit Union Overview
Apple Federal Credit Union was founded in 1956. Initially, its membership was limited to educators, but members no longer need to be affiliated with a school system to qualify. Membership is now open to anyone who lives, works, volunteers, or worships in select counties and cities in Northern Virginia. Apple FCU currently has 20 branches.
GOBankingRates gave Apple FCU 4.2 stars based on the following key characteristics.
Here are the Apple FCU APYs on major banking products.
Apple FCU offers an interest-bearing Advantage Chequing Account with a waived monthly fee, as well as Student and Education Savings Accounts with better APYs that members may qualify for.
Apple FCU offers the following member benefits:
- Learning Center: The Apple FCU Learning Center offers resources like training and free financial analysis to help you better understand your money.
- Financial calculators: Apple FCU offers calculators for debt, mortgage, budgeting, auto, retirement, and savings, with several options available in each category.
- Financial seminars: Apple FCU hosts seminars for members on various topics, such as buying a home.
- Dividend income: Members may earn interest on certain Apple FCU accounts.
Apple FCU provides the following traditional banking products:
- Credit card
- Money market accounts
Unlike some traditional banks, Apple FCU provides insurance, estate, wealth management and tax services.
Apple FCU offers several ways for members to obtain customer service assistance:
- Physical branch
- Secure email
Apple FCU has been a member of the Better Business Bureau since 2011 and has an A+ rating. It has a 4.7 customer rating on its site.
Comparable Credit Union Options
Anyone interested in joining a credit union has a variety of choices and should compare the options before applying to one. Here’s how Apple FCU compares to two other credit unions.
Apple FCU vs. Consumers Credit Union
Apple FCU customers must meet specific minimum requirements to obtain a % APY on Advantage current account. Consumers Credit Union offers no charge % at % APY Rewards Verification. CCU membership is open to all.
Apple FCU vs. Ascend Federal Credit Union
Although Apple FCU member benefits are somewhat limited, Ascend Financial Credit Union offers many member benefits, including:
- Access to financial education lessons, videos, tools and calculators
- Participation in the benefits of members
- Discounts on debit card purchases
- Free access to Ascend’s robust money management tool
How to register
Those interested in joining Apple FCU can apply online or visit a local branch. Applicants will need at least one piece of identification and must prove their eligibility for membership. For online applications, the required documentation can be securely uploaded during the application process.
Who is Apple Federal Credit Union best suited for?
Apple FCU is best for those who live or work in Northern Virginia and can meet the minimum account requirements to qualify for better APYs. Anyone who cannot meet Apple FCU’s minimum account requirements can find better APYs from other financial institutions.
Apple Federal Credit Union provides a suite of financial services beyond what you can get from many traditional banks, but its APY accounts can’t compete with some other credit unions. However, customers and the Better Business Bureau give Apple FCU high marks.
FAQsHere are the answers to common questions about Apple FCU.
- Is Apple Federal Credit Union owned by Apple?
- Apple Federal Credit Union is not owned or associated with Apple Inc., the technology company. Apple started out as a credit union for educators, which is probably why “apple” is in the name.
- What states is Apple Federal Credit Union in?
- All physical branches of Apple Federal Credit Union are located in Northern Virginia.
- Who can use Apple Credit Union?
- Apple Federal Credit Union membership is available to anyone who lives, works, worships, volunteers, or attends school in the following areas of Northern Virginia: Fairfax County, Frederick County, Prince William County , City of Fairfax, City of Manassas and City of Manassas. To park.
- Is Apple Federal Credit Union FDIC insured?
- Since Apple FCU is a credit union, it is insured by the National Credit Union Administration rather than the FDIC. Apple FCU accounts are protected up to $250,000 by the NCUA.
Rates are subject to change; unless otherwise specified, prices are updated periodically. All other account information is accurate as of June 8, 2022.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by Apple Federal Credit Union. Any opinions, analyses, criticisms, ratings, or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or otherwise endorsed by Apple Federal Credit Union.
Is this your bank?